In an old post I listed all Java libraries,where only two application frameworks were listed.
Today it is time to list some client side Java application frameworks, because I discovered some new ones while reading the W-JAX announcement. Some of the listed frameworks will make developing application with DB easier. And some of them are real 3 tier architectured frameworks. Some of them even allow you to develop RIA’s and web frameworks at the same time.
Here is now the list of open source Java application frameworks especially for the desktop. Feel free to add some more (via comment):
- NetBeans RC Platform, my IDE is build on this😉
- Eclipse RC Platform, has an interesting ‘subproject’ called Riena
- Spring RC, at the moment my favourite used in TimeFinder
- AppFramework which won’t be in JDK 7, but has a lot of derivatives
- JVx, looks very nice! Makes fast development of Swing applications possible (with db support)
- OpenXDev a framework which could be used as a base for your next Swing project
- Genuine is a client framework for Java Swing applications for which it provides basic infrastructure
- Genesis with Swing and SWT binding; Easy, transparent remoting; etc
- OpenSwing Framework is an open-source suite of advanced graphics components based on Swing toolkit
- Leonardi Framework
- Jspresso is a framework for building rich internet applications
- Viewa framework
- XUI is a Java and XML RIA platform
- Swing + XUL = SwiXAT looks interesting but dead, the same for the next:
- Swing + XML = SwiXml a small GUI generating engine.
- buoy built on top of Swing. Xml serialization of UI possible
- But why xml if you have groovy: Griffon😉
Another Comment from Andres: An addtional tidbit about Griffon, it can be seen as a polyglot programming desktop/RIA framework as it supports 5 JVM languages at the moment: Java, Groovy, Scala, Clojure and JavaFX. It also lets you embed JavaFX components on Swing containers.
- JMatter is a software framework for constructing workgroup business applications based on the Naked Objects Architectural Pattern.
- Metawidget is a ‘User Interface widget’ that populates itself, at runtime, with UI components to match the properties of your business objects.
- Pivot a platform for building rich internet applications in Java
I listed only frameworks which help developers to easier build client side desktop application and only if they run in the JVM. So frameworks where the client is browser-based (aka web frameworks) are not listed here.
Update: For additional comments look at dzone